Differences between Funeral and Cremation Care in Richmond, TX
Here at Davis Greenlawn Funeral Chapels and Cemeteries, we help families and their loved ones in Richmond, TX and nearby areas by guiding them through their most difficult days. Our compassionate staff take pride in maintaining a setting that allows you to find peace, comfort, and solace. It's not only about healing, it's also about celebrating the life and the memories of those who have passed away.
We have approached life and death differently. While some just see the end of a loved one’s life as a time for grief and mourning, we at Davis Greenlawn Funeral Chapels and Cemeteries prefer to think of it as a time for reflection, appreciation and even celebration. This is evident in everything we do, from the way we conduct our services to the amenities we choose to offer. We are not just a burial ground. We are a close knit community dedicated to honoring, sharing and preserving the amazing and inspirational stories that are life.
Whether sudden or expected, the death of someone you love can cause emotional pain and heartache. In the aftermath, you and your family must find a way to plan a service in their honor. Davis Greenlawn Funeral Chapels and Cemeteries has been providing compassionate care to families that find themselves in such circumstances. When you’re faced with loss, call on us for Richmond TX funeral home and cremation service.
Our team of Richmond TX funeral service professionals will help you to plan and carry out a service that is personal, memorable, meaningful, and on budget. What that might be is up to you. Choosing between traditional funeral services and alternative cremation services is a personal family matter, and the benefits of each service type are different. You may find that one type of care is better suited to your preferences than the other.
A conversation with an experienced services planner can help you better understand the details as they apply to your situation. But for a basic understanding, here are several things to know about the differences and benefits between funerals and cremations in Richmond, TX:
You’re likely familiar with traditional funeral and casket burial services. They generally consist of a funeral home caring for the remains of the body, preparing a viewing and funeral service, and concluding with a graveside committal.
- Deceased Care: After a person has died, their remains are removed from their place of death and taken to a funeral home for care and keeping. There, the body is embalmed, cleaned, dressed, and groomed for their final goodbye and funeral services.
- Viewing: A reception is held in honor of the deceased. Family and friends may attend the informal occasion as the last chance to see their loved one before burial. The viewing is also an opportunity to visit with others who loved the fallen in life and to provide support and care to others who are grieving. No one needs to feel alone in their loss. If any are still in disbelief that the person has died, the viewing helps them to move beyond this stage of the healing process, and begin to properly grieve.
- Funeral: A traditional funeral is a formal gathering of the living to remember someone who has died. The service generally includes a eulogy or life sketch detailing the important highlights and key moments of the deceased’s life. It may also include readings such as poetry, or verses of scripture. Music is also common. Traditional funerals can have a religious significance, but can also have a more secular tone. The funeral meeting serves as a ritual to mark the importance of the moment, to remember a life and grieve together as a community.
- Graveside Service: After the funeral service, the casket and body of the fallen are transported to their place of burial. There, a gathering of family and close friends will pay their final respects. A few words may be spoken and farewells given. It is a reminder of the finality of life’s end, helping us all to appreciate what we have received in living.
Cremations are an alternative way to care for the remains of a deceased loved one. For many families who must lay a loved one to rest, this type of dispositional care is preferable for several reasons:
- Price: The cost of cremation is generally much less costly than a casket burial. For surviving family, money continues to be important to sustain life. Paying for an extravagant funeral service, casket, burial plot, embalmment, etc. may not be a wise choice for families who have limited means to pay for it.
- Earth gentle: The body of the deceased can be directly cremated without embalming chemicals, eliminating the potential for contamination in earth soils beneath a gravesite. Cremation also avoids the use of precious resources such as hardwoods, metals, and other materials that are single-use products that are buried.
- Transportable: Cremated ashes can be taken anywhere. They can be divided among loved ones for safekeeping, used as the material in jewelry fabrication, or scattered in a favorite place in nature, where legally allowed.
- Memorial: A memorial can be scheduled at a time when all who wish to attend services can come. Unlike a funeral where the body of the deceased is there at the service, a memorial does not need the body of the deceased to be present.
Caring Funeral and Cremation Service in Richmond, TX
Greenlawn Funeral Chapels and Cemeteries is privileged to serve families and
individuals who come to us for support. Our dedicated professionals hold
themselves to the highest standard of ethics and service. When you need funeral and cremation service in Richmond, TX, we stand ready to serve. Visit our
funeral home at 3900 B F Terry Blvd
Rosenburg, TX 77471. Or call for information and support at 281-341-8800.